prof. Gwen Sys (MD, PhD)
Head of clinic – Oncological Orthopedics (UZ Gent)
Lecturer (Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UGent)
Principal investigator - Sarcoma Consortium UGent
Medical coordinator Kankercentrum UZ Gent
As an orthopaedic oncological surgeon I am involved in 2 research lines. The first research line involves the development of preclinical models for sarcoma treatment an risk assessment, based on individual patient tumor samples. The second research line involves optimalisation of biological and prosthetic bone reconstruction techniques after tumor resection to improve patient functional outcome.
As medical coordinator of the Ghent University Hospital Cancer Center I am actively facilitating collaboration between the clinic, psychosocial, basic and translational oncological researchers, promoting patient participation for added social relevance of oncological research.
- Prof. Olivier De Wever – principal investigator, full professor
- Prof. David Creytens – principal investigator, lecturer
- Prof. Lore Lapeire – principal investigator, lecturer
- Prof. Koenraad Verstraete – principal investigator, full professor
- Prof. Marc Van Eijkeren – principal investigator, lecturer
- Prof. Hilde De Rooster – principal investigator, full professor
- Prof. Ward De Spiegelaere – principal investigator, full professor
- dr. Suzanne Fisher – doctoral fellow
- dr. Stefanie Gijsels – doctoral fellow
- MISpheroID: a knowledgebase and transparency tool for minimum information in spheroid identity. Nat Methods. 2021; PMID: 34725485
- Radiographic analysis of extracorporeally irradiated autografts.Skeletal Radiol. 2010; PMID: 20703876.
- The in ovo CAM-assay as a xenograft model for sarcoma. J Vis Exp. 2013; PMID: 23892612
- Enhancing rotational placement of reconstruction prostheses of the distal femur after sarcoma resection. Med Eng Phys. 2020; PMID: 32507678.
- Expandable distal femur megaprosthesis: A European Musculoskeletal Oncology Society study on 299 cases. J Surg Oncol. 2020; PMID: 32506533.
- Accuracy assessment of surgical planning and three-dimensional-printed patient-specific guides for orthopaedic osteotomies. Proc Inst Mech Eng H. 2017; PMID 28639516.
- Extracorporeally irradiated autografts for the treatment of bone tumours: tips and tricks. Int Orthop. 2011; PMID: 20652247
- Radiologic Evaluation of Compressive Osseointegration for the Fixation of Reconstruction Prostheses after Tumor Resection. Biomed Res Int. 2015; PMID: 26266259
- Extracorporeally irradiated autografts in pelvic reconstruction after malignant tumour resection. Int Orthop. 2002; PMID: 12073112
- Tumor grafts derived from sarcoma patients retain tumor morphology, viability, and invasion potential and indicate disease outcomes in the chick chorioallantoic membrane model. Cancer Lett. 2012; PMID: 22841668