prof. Ans Baeyens (PhD)
Principal investigator - Radiobiology lab - UGent
Associate professor - Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences - UGent
My main research is in the field of molecular and clinical radiobiology, radiation protection. Topics focus on chromosomal radiosensitivity, DNA repair mechanism and cancer predisposition in breast, cervical cancer and HIV positive cancer patients. Recently a new research line focusing on proton therapy and hematopoietic stem cells is initiated. Another part of my research is in the field of biological dosimetry. We try to estimate by using cytogenetic tests the radiation-induced DNA damage in radiation-overexposed individuals. Since beginning of 2019 we are the reference lab for radiosensitivity testing in Belgium.
- Prof. Anne Vral - principle investigator, full professor
- Prof. Ans Baeyens - principle investigator, associate professor
- Stephanie Vermeulen - doctoral fellow
- Evi Duthoo - doctoral fellow
- Simon Sioen - doctoral fellow
- Elien Beyls - doctoral fellow
- Bram Van Rie - doctoral fellow
- Leen Pieters - technician
- Greet De Smet - technician
- Johanna Aernoudt - technician
- Toke Thiron - technician
- Elif Bes - technician
- Chromosomal radiosensitivity in breast cancer patients with a known or putative genetic predisposition. British Journal of Cancer, 2002.
- The use of EBV-transformed cell lines of breast cancer patients to measure chromosomal radiosensitivity. Mutagenesis,2004
- Chromosomal radiosensitivity in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers. International Journal of Radiation Biology, 2004.
- Polymorphisms in nonhomologous end-joining genes associated with breast cancer risk and chromosomal radiosensitivity. Genes Chromosomes Cancer, 2008
- The combined effect of polymorphisms in Rad51 and Xrcc3 on breast cancer risk and chromosomal radiosensitivity. Molecular Medicine Reports, 2011
- Ethnical differences in breast cancer characteristics in a South African population. The Breast Journal, 2015
- Prevalence of BRCA1, BRCA2, PALB2 mutations and CHEK2 c.1100delC in different South African ethnic groups diagnosed with early onset and/or triple negative breast cancer. BMC Cancer, 2015
- Chromosomal radiosensitivity of HIV positive/negative cervical cancer patients in South Africa, Molecular Medicine Reports, 2016
- RENEB intercomparison exercises analyzing micronuclei (Cytokinesis-block Micronucleus Assay) International Journal of Radiation Biology, 2016
- Diagnosis of Fanconi Anaemia by ionising radiation- or mitomycin C-induced micronuclei. DNA Repair, 2016.
- Absence of genotoxic effect in circulating lymphocytes of workers exposed to cadmium. Toxicology Letters, 2019
- The effect of modulated electro-hyperthermia on local disease control in HIV-positive and -negative cervical cancer women in South Africa: Early results from a phase III randomised controlled trial. Plos One, 2019
- Chromosomal Radiosensitivity of Triple Negative and Young Breast Cancer Patients. International Journal of Radiation Biology, 2019