prof. Wouter Huvenne (MD, PhD)
Head of clinic – Head and Neck Surgery (UZ Gent)
Associate professor (Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UGent)
Surgical oncology relies adequate resection margins. This is of particular matter in the head and neck where ablative surgery results in both esthetic and functional morbidity. Intra-operative imaging techniques can assist the surgeon in order to achieve oncological sound margins while minimizing morbidity.
Tumor profiling and characterization is a necessary tool in order to individualize treatment, and more adequately predict outcome after treatment. Insight into the more detailed mechanisms of tumor aggressiveness will provide us with these data, which ultimately will define the treatment.
- High-dose reirradiation with intensity-modulated radiotherapy for recurrent head-and-neck cancer: disease control, survival and toxicity. Radiother Oncol. 2014 Jun;111(3):388-92. doi: 10.1016/j.radonc.2014.04.018. Epub 2014 Jul 3.
- Long-term outcome of 18 F-fluorodeoxyglucose-positron emission tomography-guided dose painting for head and neck cancer: Matched case-control study. Head Neck. 2017 Nov;39(11):2264-2275. doi: 10.1002/hed.24892. Epub 2017 Aug 21.
- Upfront vs. no upfront neck dissection in primary head and neck cancer radio(chemo)therapy: Tumor control and late toxicity. Radiother Oncol. 2017 Aug;124(2):220-224. doi: 10.1016/j.radonc.2017.07.011. Epub 2017 Jul 26.
- Turning the tide: Clinical utility of PD-L1 expression in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Oral Oncol. 2017 Jul;70:34-42. doi: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2017.05.002. Epub 2017 May 19. Review.
- Open surgery versus primary radiotherapy in T4b sinonasal carcinoma. (2018) B-ENT. 14(2). p.93-99
- Very late xerostomia, dysphagia, and neck fibrosis after head and neck radiotherapy. Head Neck. 2019 Oct;41(10):3594-3603. doi: 10.1002/hed.25880. Epub 2019 Jul 22.
- Functional Outcomes and Complications After Salvage Total Laryngectomy for Residual, Recurrent, and Second Primary Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Larynx and Hypopharynx: A Multicenter Retrospective Cohort Study. Frontiers in Oncology. 2020 Sep 2;10:1390. doi: 10.3389/fonc.2020.01390. Peer reviewed - Impact factor 4.848
- Oncologic Outcomes After Salvage Laryngectomy for Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Larynx and Hypopharynx: A Multicenter Retrospective Cohort Study. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2020 Aug 28. doi: 10.1245/s10434-020-09017-0. Peer reviewed - Impact Factor 4.061
- The Prognostic Value of CD206 in Solid Malignancies: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Cancers 2021, 13, 3422. https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers13143422 - Impact Factor 6.639
- High-Resolution 18F-FDG PET/CT for Assessing Three-Dimensional Intraoperative Margins Status in Malignancies of the Head and Neck, a Proof-of-Concept. J. Clin. Med. 2021, 10, 3737. https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm10163737 - Impact Factor 3.303
- Direct co-registration of [18F]FDG uptake and histopathology in surgically excised malignancies of the head and neck: a feasibility study. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2023 Jun;50(7):2127-2139. doi: 10.1007/s00259-023-06153-z. Epub 2023 Mar 1. Impact Factor 10.057