prof. Wouter Huvenne (MD, PhD)
Head of clinic – Head and Neck Surgery (UZ Gent)
Associate professor (Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UGent)
Surgical oncology relies adequate resection margins. This is of particular matter in the head and neck where ablative surgery results in both esthetic and functional morbidity. Intra-operative imaging techniques can assist the surgeon in order to achieve oncological sound margins while minimizing morbidity.
Tumor profiling and characterization is a necessary tool in order to individualize treatment, and more adequately predict outcome after treatment. Insight into the more detailed mechanisms of tumor aggressiveness will provide us with these data, which ultimately will define the treatment.
- Very late xerostomia, dysphagia, and neck fibrosis after head and neck radiotherapy. Baudelet M, Van den Steen L, Tomassen P, Bonte K, Deron P, Huvenne W, Rottey S, De Neve W, Sundahl N, Van Nuffelen G, Duprez F. Head Neck. 2019 Oct;41(10):3594-3603. doi: 10.1002/hed.25880. Epub 2019 Jul 22.
- Long-term outcome of 18 F-fluorodeoxyglucose-positron emission tomography-guided dose painting for head and neck cancer: Matched case-control study. Berwouts D, Madani I, Duprez F, Olteanu AL, Vercauteren T, Boterberg T, Deron P, Bonte K, Huvenne W, De Neve W, Goethals I. Head Neck. 2017 Nov;39(11):2264-2275. doi: 10.1002/hed.24892. Epub 2017 Aug 21.
- Upfront vs. no upfront neck dissection in primary head and neck cancer radio(chemo)therapy: Tumor control and late toxicity. Nevens D, Duprez F, Bonte K, Deron P, Huvenne W, Laenen A, De Neve W, Nuyts S. Radiother Oncol. 2017 Aug;124(2):220-224. doi: 10.1016/j.radonc.2017.07.011. Epub 2017 Jul 26.
- Turning the tide: Clinical utility of PD-L1 expression in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. De Meulenaere A, Vermassen T, Aspeslagh S, Huvenne W, Van Dorpe J, Ferdinande L, Rottey S. Oral Oncol. 2017 Jul;70:34-42. doi: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2017.05.002. Epub 2017 May 19. Review.
- High-dose reirradiation with intensity-modulated radiotherapy for recurrent head-and-neck cancer: disease control, survival and toxicity. Duprez F, Berwouts D, Madani I, Bonte K, Boterberg T, De Gersem W, Deron P, Huvenne W, De Neve W. Radiother Oncol. 2014 Jun;111(3):388-92. doi: 10.1016/j.radonc.2014.04.018. Epub 2014 Jul 3.
- Open surgery versus primary radiotherapy in T4b sinonasal carcinoma. Jens Debacker (UGent) , Wouter Huvenne (UGent) , Katrien Bonte (UGent) , Wilfried De Neve (UGent) , Philippe Deron (UGent) , Piet Ost (UGent) , Thibaut Van Zele (UGent) , Hubert Vermeersch (UGent) and Fréderic Duprez (UGent) (2018) B-ENT. 14(2). p.93-99