prof. Piet Ost (MD, PhD)
Adj Head of clinic - Radiation oncology (UZ Gent)
Assistant professor (Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UGent)
Member of the Steering Committee of ION (immuno-oncology network) Ghent
Vice-chairman of the Young Academic Urologist Prostate Cancer Working group of the EAU.
Our team focuses on urothelial cancers with a strong research focus on prostate cancer. In this field we have followed and implemented new technologies such as IMRT, SBRT, VMAT as well as new systemic treatments such as abiraterone, enzalutamide,… Another important focus is the implementation of new diagnostic tools in the re-staging of prostate cancer and implementation of metastasis-directed therapy for prostate cancer with limited metastases (oligometastases).
A recent interest in this field is the development of prognostic or predictive circulating biomarker panels for which collaboration with several other departments has been established inside and outside Ugent.
A second interest is immunotherapy and the implementation of new agents (anti-CTLA4, anti-pd-(l)1,…) into the clinic with or without radiotherapy. He is leading several ongoing fase I/II trials of immunotherapy in melanoma, bladder cancer and renal cell carcinoma.
Honours and awards:
- First price for Junior Presentations; Spring-Meeting of the Belgian Society of Radiotherapists and Oncologists (03/2010). Title: A matched-control analysis of adjuvant and salvage high-dose postoperative intensity-modulated radiotherapy for prostate cancer.
- The 2011 ASCO Cancer Foundation Merit Award for the abstract: Adjuvant high-dose intensity-modulated radiotherapy following radical prostatectomy: Updated 5-year results, presented at the 2011 Genitourinary Cancers Symposium on February 17 - 19, 2011 in Orlando, Florida. (1000 euro)
- Belgian Brain Tumour Support Prize (2011), second prize for the abstract: “Hypofractionated frameless stereotactic intensity modulated radiotherapy with whole brain radiotherapy for the treatment of brain metastases,“ (3000 euro)
- Five-yearly prize Paul De Backer (2011) for radiology, radiodiagnosis, radio- or radiumtherapy, radiobiology or clinical applications of nuclear energy. Title: “Postoperative prostate bed Intensity-Modulated radiotherapy: dose-escalation for an invisible moving target.“ (2500 euro)
- Pfizer education grant (2012) for specialists in training in the category “in vitro and in vivo diagnostics”. (500 euro)
- Frans Van Cauwelaertprijs (2015) – Koninklijke Vlaamse Academie van België voor Wetenschappen en Kunsten. Title: Gerichte therapie voor oligometastasen van prostaatkanker. (7500 euro)
- Adjuvant high-dose intensity-modulated radiotherapy after radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer: clinical results in 104 patients. Eur Urol. 2009
- High-dose salvage intensity-modulated radiotherapy with or without androgen deprivation after radical prostatectomy for rising or persisting prostate-specific antigen: 5-year results. Eur Urol. 2011
- Postoperative high-dose pelvic radiotherapy for N+ prostate cancer: Toxicity and matched case comparison with postoperative prostate bed-only radiotherapy. Radiother Oncol. 2013
- Salvage stereotactic body radiotherapy for patients with limited prostate cancer metastases. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2013
- Prognostic Factors Influencing Prostate Cancer-Specific Survival in Non-Castrate Patients with Metastatic Prostate Cancer. Prostate. 2014
- Radiotherapy for renal cell carcinoma. Lancet Oncol 2014
- Surveillance or metastasis-directed therapy for oligometastatic prostate cancer recurrence (STOMP): study protocol for a randomized phase II trial. BMC Cancer 2014.
- Metastasis-directed therapy of regional and distant recurrences after curative treatment of prostate cancer: a systematic review of literature. Eur Urol. 2015
- Progression-free survival following stereotactic body radiotherapy for oligometastatic prostate cancer treatment-naive recurrence: a multi-institutional analysis. Eur Urol 2015
- The potential of radiotherapy to enhance the efficacy of renal cell carcinoma therapy. OncoImmunology. 2015