prof. Piet Ost (MD, PhD)
Associate professor (Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UGent)
Radiation oncologist at the Iridium Network, GZA Ziekenhuizen, Antwerp
Chair of the EORTC Radiation Oncology Science Council (ROSC)
Our team focuses on urothelial cancers with a strong research focus on prostate cancer. In this field we have followed and implemented new technologies such as IMRT, SBRT, VMAT as well as new systemic treatments such as abiraterone, enzalutamide,… Another important focus is the implementation of new diagnostic tools in the re-staging of prostate cancer and implementation of metastasis-directed therapy for prostate cancer with limited metastases (oligometastases).
A recent interest in this field is the development of prognostic or predictive circulating biomarker panels for which collaboration with several other departments has been established inside and outside Ugent.
A second interest is immunotherapy and the implementation of new agents (anti-CTLA4, anti-pd-(l)1,…) into the clinic with or without radiotherapy. He is leading several ongoing fase I/II trials of immunotherapy in melanoma, bladder cancer and renal cell carcinoma.
- Medical Faculty: Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium (1999-2005)
- Residency: Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium (2005 – 2008, 2010 - 2012)
- PhD fellow: Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium (2008 – 2010)
- Radiation oncologist: Ghent university Hospital (10/2012 – 02/2021)
- Radiation oncologist: Iridium Network, GZA Ziekenhuizen, Antwerp (03/2021 - current)
- Senior Clinical Investigator of the Research Foundation - Flanders (Belgium) (FWO) (10/2012 – current)
- Associate professor at Ghent University (current)
Honours and awards:
- First price for Junior Presentations; Spring-Meeting of the Belgian Society of Radiotherapists and Oncologists (03/2010). Title: A matched-control analysis of adjuvant and salvage high-dose postoperative intensity-modulated radiotherapy for prostate cancer.
- The 2011 ASCO Cancer Foundation Merit Award for the abstract: Adjuvant high-dose intensity-modulated radiotherapy following radical prostatectomy: Updated 5-year results, presented at the 2011 Genitourinary Cancers Symposium on February 17 - 19, 2011 in Orlando, Florida. (1000 euro)
- Belgian Brain Tumour Support Prize (2011), second prize for the abstract: “Hypofractionated frameless stereotactic intensity modulated radiotherapy with whole brain radiotherapy for the treatment of brain metastases,“ (3000 euro)
- Five-yearly prize Paul De Backer (2011) for radiology, radiodiagnosis, radio- or radiumtherapy, radiobiology or clinical applications of nuclear energy. Title: “Postoperative prostate bed Intensity-Modulated radiotherapy: dose-escalation for an invisible moving target.“ (2500 euro)
- Pfizer education grant (2012) for specialists in training in the category “in vitro and in vivo diagnostics”. (500 euro)
- Frans Van Cauwelaertprijs (2015) – Koninklijke Vlaamse Academie van België voor Wetenschappen en Kunsten. Title: Gerichte therapie voor oligometastasen van prostaatkanker. (7500 euro)
- AstraZeneca Foundation Award Oncology (2018) - awarded for the innovative approach in the treatment of prostate cancer, in which local treatment of oligometastases is applied to delay progression of the disease. (25000 euro)
- Ost P, Reynders D, Decaestecker K, Fonteyne V, Lumen N, De Bruycker A, Lambert A, Delrue L, Bultijnck R, Claeys T, Goetghebeur E, Villeirs G, De Man K, Ameye F, Billiet I, Joniau S, Vanhaverbeke F, De Meerleer G. Surveillance or Metastasis-Directed Therapy for Oligometastatic Prostate Cancer Recurrence: A Prospective, Randomized, Multicenter Phase II Trial. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2018 36:5, 446-453 (IF: 26.3)
- De Bruycker A, De Bleser E, Decaestecker K, Fonteyne V, Lumen N, De Visschere P, De Man K, Delrue L, Lambert B, and Ost P. Nodal Oligorecurrent Prostate Cancer: Anatomic Pattern of Possible Treatment Failure in Relation to Elective Surgical and Radiotherapy Treatment Templates. European Urology 2018 (in press) (IF: 17.6)
- Fanti S, Minozzi S, Antoch G, Banks I, Briganti A, Carrio I, Chiti A, Clarke N, Eiber M, De Bono J, Fizazi K, Gillessen S, Gledhill S, Haberkorn U, Herrmann K, Hicks R, Lecouvet F, Montironi R, Ost P, O'Sullivan J, Padhani A, Schalken J, Scher H, Tombal B, van Moorselaar J, Van Poppel H, Vargas H, Walz J, Weber W, Wester HJ, Oyen W. Consensus on molecular imaging and theranostics in prostate cancer. Lancet Oncology 2018 19:12 (IF: 36.4)
- Lecouvet FE, Oprea-Lager DE, Liu Y, Ost P, Bidaut L, Collette L, Deroose CM, Goffin K, Herrmann K, Hoekstra OS, Kramer G, Lievens Y, Lopci E, Pasquier D, Petersen LJ, Talbot JN, Zacho H, Tombal B, deSouza NM. Use of modern imaging methods to facilitate trials of metastasis-directed therapy for oligometastatic disease in prostate cancer: a consensus recommendation from the EORTC Imaging Group. Lancet Oncol. 2018 19(10):e534-e545. (IF: 36.4)
- Gillessen S, Attard G, Beer T, Beltran H, Bossi A, Bristow R, Carver B, Castellano D, Chung B, Clarke N, Daugaard G, Davis I, de Bono J, Borges dos Reis R, Drake C, Eeles R, Efstathiou E, Evans P, Fanti S, Feng F, Fizazi K, Frydenberg M, Gleave M, Halabi S, Heidenreich A, Higano C, James N, Kantoff P, Liisa Kellokumpu-Lehtinen, Khauli R, Kramer G, Logothetis C, Maluf F, Morgans A, Morris M, Mottet N, Murthy V, Oh W, Ost P, Padhani A, Parker C, Pritchard C, Roach M, Rubin M, Ryan C, Saad F, Sartor O, Scher H, Sella A, Shore N, Smith M, Soule H, Sternberg C, Suzuki H, Sweeney S, Sydes M, Tannock I, Tombal B, Valdagni R, Wiegel T, Omlin A. Management of Patients with Advanced Prostate Cancer: The Report of the Advanced Prostate Cancer Consensus Conference APCCC 2017. European Urology 2018 73:2 (IF: 17.6)
- Ost, P., Bossi, A., Decaestecker, K., De Meerleer, G., Giannarini, G., Karnes, R. J., Roach M 3rd, Briganti, A. (2015). Metastasis-directed therapy of regional and distant recurrences after curative treatment of prostate cancer: a systematic review of the literature. European urology, 67(5), 852-863. (IF 13.938)
- Ost, P., Jereczek-Fossa, B.A., Van As, N., Zilli, T., Muacevic, A., Olivier, K., Henderson, D., Casamassima, F., Orecchia, R., Surgo, A. and Brown, L. (2016). Progression-free survival following stereotactic body radiotherapy for oligometastatic prostate cancer treatment-naive recurrence: a multi-institutional analysis. European urology, 69(1), pp.9-12. (IF 13.938)
- De Wolf, K., Vermaelen, K., De Meerleer, G., Lambrecht, B. N., & Ost, P. (2015). The potential of radiotherapy to enhance the efficacy of renal cell carcinoma therapy. Oncoimmunology, 4(10), e1042198. (IF 6.266)
- De Meerleer, G., Khoo, V., Escudier, B., Joniau, S., Bossi, A., Ost, P., Briganti, A., Fonteyne, V., Van Vulpen, M., Lumen, N. and Spahn, M., (2014). Radiotherapy for renal-cell carcinoma. The Lancet Oncology, 15(4), pp.e170-e177. (IF 25.12)
- Ost P, Lumen N, Goessaert AS, et al. (2011) High-dose salvage intensity-modulated radiotherapy with or without androgen deprivation after radical prostatectomy for rising or persisting prostate-specific antigen: 5-year results. Eur Urol. 60(4):842-849. (IF. 8.842)