Annick Meertens

CRIG member
Annick Meertens

Doctoral fellow – Department of Dermatology – UZ Gent
Doctoral fellow – Department of Public Health and Primary Care, Interuniversity Centre for Health Economics Research (I-CHER), Ghent University
Principal investigator: prof. Lieve Brochez (MD, PhD)

Research focus

Skin cancer is the most frequent cancer worldwide with basal cell carcinoma (BCC), squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) and melanoma being the most common types. BCC and SCC are called keratinocyte carcinoma together and account for 90% of all skin cancers. The remaining 10% are melanomas, which are less common but more aggressive. Over the past years, there has been a significant increase in the incidence of skin cancer incidence. Skin cancer may impact patients’ health-related quality of life due to the disease, its treatment and side effects. However, research regarding the impact of KC on HRQoL is limited. Therefore, a part of this PhD research is focusing on assessing the impact of KC on HRQoL. Moreover, due to its high incidence, increasing healthcare costs and high levels of services used to manage skin cancer, a significant economic burden on society is imposed. Insights into the cost of skin cancer can provide a guidance and resource for policy development, priority setting and management of pubic health. Therefore, another key part of this PhD research involves identifying the costs associated with skin cancer and evaluating the cost-effectiveness of strategies to optimize skin cancer care. 


In 2022, I obtained my master degree in Biomedical Sciences, with a specialization in epidemiology and health technology assessment (Radboud UMC Nijmegen). Thereafter, I started working as a PhD researcher at the Department of Dermatology at Ghent University Hospital in collaboration with the unit health economics and management at Ghent University. My PhD topic is about measuring the health and economic burden of skin cancer and their implications for the optimization of skin cancer care. 

Key publications

  • A Detailed Evaluation of the Effect of Prostate-specific Antigen-based Screening on Morbidity and Mortality of Prostate Cancer: 21-year Follow-up Results of the Rotterdam Section of the European Randomised Study of Screening for Prostate Cancer, European Urology, 2023, PMID: 37029074
  • A critical re-evaluation of Mohs micrographic surgery for a facial basal cell carcinoma in older adults: Should we waive this treatment in certain patients?, Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 2023, PMID: 37147863

Contact & links

  • Lab address: Corneel Heymanslaan 10, 9000 Gent
  • LinkedIn
  • ResearchGate
  • Annick Meertens is interested to receive invitations for presentations or talks