prof. Filip Van Nieuwerburgh (PhD)
Associate professor (Faculty of Pharmaceutical Scienes, UGent)
Principal investigator / executive head NXTGNT (UGent)
Our research is focused on topics making use of the many applications of massively parallel sequencing, including bioinformatics. We have the expertise to perform single cell genome-wide (epi)genomics and transcriptomics.
Filip Van Nieuwerburgh started his academic career at LABFBT in 2002 and obtained his PhD degree in 2007 with a dissertation on genetics and proteomics. After obtaining his PhD, he was one of the founders of the Ghent University massive parallel sequencing (MPS) core facility NXTGNT (www.nxtgnt.com) and focused his research on topics making use of the many applications of this technology. Two post-doctoral research projects at the Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA, USA) enhanced his expertise in the field. Currently, he is the executive director of the NXTGNT facility. To get the most out of MPS data, (customized) bioinformatics tools are needed. With the advent of the MPS technology, Filip started building bioinformatics expertise and is now supervising a group of highly skilled bio-informaticians.
More recently, in collaboration the Department of Reproductive Medicine and the Department of Medical Genetics, he has researched the application of MPS in the field of pre-implantation diagnostics and studied several genetic diseases. Currently, he is focussing on rare cell isolation with downstream MPS sequencing.
- prof. Dieter Deforce (PhD) - full professor
- prof. Filip Van Nieuwerburgh (PhD) - associate professor
- Yannick Gansemans - bioinformatician
- dr. Olivier Tytgat (PhD) - postdoctoral fellow
- dr. Ann-Sophie Vander Plaetsen (PhD) - postdoctoral fellow
- Laurentijn Tilleman - doctoral fellow
- Kaat Rubben - doctoral fellow
- Tim Meese - doctoral fellow
- Sonja Skevin - doctoral fellow
- Koen Deserranno - doctoral fellow
- Mohsin Ali - doctoral fellow
- Sarah De Keulenaer - scientific personnel NXTGNT
- Ellen De Meester - scientific personnel NXTGNT
- Sylvie De Craene - technician NXTGNT
Contact & links
- LabFBT / NXTGNT, Ottergemsesteenweg 460, 9000 Gent
- NXTGNT massively parallel sequencing facility
- UGent NGS core