prof. Anja Geerts (MD, PhD)
Head of clinic – Gastroenterology & Hepatology (UZ Ghent)
Associate professor (Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UGent)
Senior Researcher FWO
Member of ERN-RARE-Liver network
The research work focuses on angiogenesis, endothelial dysfunction and exploration of pathophysiological mechanisms in multiple animal models of liver disease with particularly strong interest in NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) and NASH (non-alcoholic steatohepatitis).
NASH is currently the fastest growing cause of HCC (hepatocellular carcinoma) in liver transplant patients.
Anja Geerts is Professor at the University of Ghent and Head of clinic at the department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology of the University Hospital Ghent in Belgium. Her main interest, both clinical and scientific, is in the field of NAFLD. She is involved in the daily management of NAFLD patients, for which she recently launched a dedicated NAFLD outpatient clinic in the Ghent University Hospital. Many phase 2 and 3 clinical trials about NASH are running in her department.
Since 2007 she is one of the prinicipal investigators in the Hepatology Research Unit. The research work focuses on angiogenesis, endothelial dysfunction and exploration of pathophysiological mechanisms in multiple animal models of liver disease with particularly strong interest in NAFLD. This research work has resulted in multiple publications in highly regarded international journals.
- prof. Anja Geerts - principal investigator
- prof. Hans Van Vlierberghe - principal investigator
- prof. Lindsey De Visscher (PhD) - principal investigator
- prof. Xavier Verhelst (MD, PhD) - associate professor
- dr. Sander Lefere (MD, PhD) - post-doctoral researcher
- dr. Helena Degroote (MD, PhD) - post-doctoral researcher
Contact & links
- Lab address: Hepatology Research Unit, Liver Research Center Ghent, UZ Ghent, Corneel Heymanslaan 10, 9000 Ghent
- Prof. Anja Geerts is involved in the European rare network for rare liver diseases
- Prof. Anja Geerts is interested to receive invitations for presentations or talks