Doctoral fellow - Research group on Dynamical Systems and Control, Department of Electromechanical, Systems and Metal Engineering (Faculty of Engineering and Architecture, UGent)
Principal investigator: prof. Clara Ionescu
My current research refers at developing a general identification framework in lung cancer patients composed of physiologically based mathematical modelling of tumour growth and modelling of respiratory impedance. The goal is to use it for further prediction of an individualized lung cancer therapy/treatment, with prospective results in prediction of radiation induced toxicity.
Tools from factional calculus are used to characterize tissue properties (viscoelastic, heterogeneity) and the lung function in lung cancer patients in order to predict the effect of the treatment. For the purpose of delivering patient specific information for the models mentioned and evaluate the effect of Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT), possibly predicting the risk for toxicity, we use the forced oscillation technique device (FOT).
The FOT contribution and application in lung cancer assessment are analyzed in order to provide useful information about the respiratory function in lung cancer patients before and after treatment.
The final goal is to use mathematical modelling and non-standardized FOT device in the clinical decision-making process of choosing the optimal SBRT strategy (simulating & designing the treatment protocols). The forced oscillation technique and modelling approach will be proven to be suitable evaluation & prediction tools of pulmonary toxicity, in order to prevent as much as possible this toxicity in the future and individualize the treatment.
- Doctoral Fellow of the Special Research Found - UGent (BOF 2019), Doctor of Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and Architecture – since 2018
- Joint Doctorate with Antwerp University, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
- MSc in Health Information Systems, Faculty of Automatic Control and Computers (University ‘Politehnica’ of Bucharest, Romania) – 2018
- BSc in Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Medical Engineering, field of study: Medical Equipment and Systems (University ‘Politehnica’ of Bucharest, Romania) – 2016
- Erasmus+ exchange programme, Study Mobility for Master Thesis work and defense at Ghent University (Ghent, Belgium) – 2018
- Winner Master of Science Award for Thesis Work at Thesis Grant Initiative, awarded by IEEE Systems, Man, And Cybernetics (Miyazaki, Japan) – 2018
- Local organizer of upcoming IFAC Symposium on Biological and Medical Systems 2021, 19-22 September 2021, Ghent, Belgium