Extracellular vesicles (EV) derived from liquid biopsies are emerging as potent biomarkers in health and disease, especially in cancer.
We focus on EV secreted by bacteria and implement these bacterial vesicles as new blood-based biomarkers in precision medicine.
SCIENTIFIC DEGREES/PROFESSIONAL CAREER
* 2011-2016: Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences and Master of Science in Drug Development, Ghent University
* 2016-present: PhD student, Laboratory of Experimental Cancer Research , Ghent University
* ISEV2019 Young Investigator Award
* EMBO journal poster prize at BESEV2019
- Tulkens, J. et al.: Increased levels of systemic LPS-positive bacterial extracellular vesicles in patients with intestinal barrier dysfunction, Gut, 69, 191-193 (2020).
- Tulkens, J. et al.: Analyzing bacterial extracellular vesicles in human body fluids by orthogonal biophysical separation and biochemical characterization, Nature Protocols, 15, 40–67 (2020).
- Van Deun, J. et al.: EV-TRACK: transparent reporting and centralizing knowledge in extracellular vesicle research, Nature Methods, 14(3), 228–232 (2017).