The CRIG Steering Committee consists of 8 elected CRIG group leaders from different faculties of Ghent University and representatives from Ghent University Hospital and VIB-UGent, ensuring the multidisciplinary character of CRIG. As Chairman of CRIG, prof. Jo Vandesompele presides and externally represents the Steering Committee.
The Steering Committee is responsible for the strategic plan to translate CRIG's mission into concrete action. Amongst others, the Steering Committee oversees CRIG memberships and promotes various CRIG initiatives through different task forces, involving symposia, workshops, education, communication with internal and external stakeholders, funding, networking and grant support. The Steering Committee directly supervises the Operational Committee and the CRIG Business Unit to monitor and streamline all CRIG related initiatives.
Under the direct supervision of the CRIG Steering Committee and its Chairman, the Operational Committee is responsible for the daily management and the implementation of the strategic plan, such as the coordination and organization of CRIG events, follow up of cancer research activities and initiation of new projects within CRIG, as well as networking and communication with different stakeholders. Dr. Pieter Rondou leads the Operational Committee as CRIG coordinator, supported by An Rose (part-time administrative assistant for CRIG) and ad hoc members for specific CRIG initiatives. Dr. Joke Tommelein is the contact at Bimetra as advisor oncological clinical trials and translational cancer research.
CRIG Knowledge Transfer Committee
Bringing medical innovations from the lab to the patient is at the heart of the CRIG initiative. Setting up strategic relations with industry and other partners is key to success. Experienced business development managers and project managers support CRIG researchers and their partners in setting up and managing collaborative innovation projects in the fields of drug/biomarker discovery, drug delivery, clinical research, biobanking, big data, medical devices, imaging and chemical biology. This team can assist in intellectual property rights management, business development, R&D partnering, licensing & venturing and strategic research funding. The CRIG Knowledge Transfer Committee operates in a multi-disciplinary and cross-organizational approach in close collaboration with the TTO offices of Ghent University and VIB and the Clinical Research Center of UZ Gent. The committee also advises the CRIG Steering Committee concerning valorization strategies in the strategic plan.
- dr. Daisy Flamez (UGent, coordinator, business development manager): biomarker discovery and validation, pre-clinical translational R&D, bioinformatic tools and databases/big data, diagnostics
- dr. Katrien Vanheusden (UGent, project manager): CRIG project management, business liaison network
- dr. Dominic De Groote (UGent, business development manager): drug discovery & drug delivery.
- dr. An Van Den Bulcke (UGent, business development manager): novel compounds, chemical biology, bio-conjugation, polymer therapeutics, nanoparticles & controlled/targeted delivery devices
- dr. Jan Staelens (VIB, business development manager): drug discovery, diagnostics
- prof. Sofie Bekaert (UZ Gent, head of Bimetra): translational research, healthcare innovation, clinical trials, biobanking, translational datamanagement, clinical big data, patient involvement
- dr. Lieve Nuytinck (UZ Gent, Bimetra, project manager): healthcare innovation, medical devices
(banner photography credits: dr. Mieke Van Bockstal, CRIG member)