prof. Herman Depypere (MD, PhD)
Professor - Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Department of Uro-gynaecology Ugent
Gynaecologist at Ghent University Hospital
President of the Belgian Menopause Society
Professor Herman Depypere is a full-time member of the Department of Uro-gynaecology (Ghent University) and specializes in breast and menopause. In addition to a busy practice, he is strongly involved in fundamental research into the early detection of breast cancer. A large part of his research is also focused on the prevention of breast cancer. Another facet of his research focuses on optimizing life in the menopause.
With prof. Hampel of the Sorbonne University (Paris) a collaborative project is running on the influence of menopause on dementia and the potential protective effect of hormone treatment in menopausal women. This project in currently recruiting women for a prospective trial. During this trial we are also looking at nicturia, urinary incontinence, urine production in menopausal women with and without hormone use. This in collaboration with prof. Karel Everaert.
With Prof Jose Russo (Philadelphia, USA) and Prof Jaak Janssens (Hasselt, Belgium) a collaborative project, studies the influence of the administration of pregnancy hormone in the epigenetic changes in the DNA of breast cells. This is a potential strategy to reduce breast cancer with 50 %.
With prof. Olivier Dewever we are studying the influence of glucose, insulin and hormones, and their interactions on breast cancer cells in long term in vitro cultures.
Prof. dr. Herman Depypere is gynaecologist at Ghent University Hospital and received his education in Ghent (Belgium), Birmingham (UK), Rotterdam (Netherlands), Adelaide (Australia) and Lille (France). He completed his biomedical doctorate with the highest distinction in 1990 and received his aggregate higher education in 1994.
He is president of the Belgian Menopause Society and is a member of numerous foreign and Belgian scientific associations.
He is currently collaborates with prof. Hampel of the Sorbonne University (Paris) (dementia in menopause), prof. Karel Everaert (Ugent) (nictury, incontinence), Prof Jose Russo (Philadelphia, USA) and Prof Jaak Janssens (Hasselt, Belgium) (prevention of breast cancer through administration of pregnancy hormone), prof. Olivier Dewever (Ugent) (insulin and breast cancer).
- Dollé L, Depypere HT, Bracke ME. Anti-invasive/anti-metastasis strategies: new roads, new tools and new hopes. Curr Cancer Drug Targets. 2006 Dec;6(8):729-51.
- De Wever O, Derycke L, Hendrix A, De Meerleer G, Godeau F, Depypere H, Bracke M. Soluble cadherins as cancer biomarkers. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2007;24(8):685-97.
- Blondeel PN, Hijjawi J, Depypere H, Roche N, Van Landuyt K. Shaping the breast in aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgery: an easy three-step principle. Part IV--aesthetic breast surgery.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Aug;124(2):372-82.
- Bolca S, Urpi-Sarda M, Blondeel P, Roche N, Vanhaecke L, Possemiers S, Al-Maharik N, Botting N, De Keukeleire D, Bracke M, Heyerick A, Manach C & Depypere H (2010) Disposition of soy isoflavones in normal breast tissue. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 91:976-84.
- Davies C, Pan H, Godwin J, Gray R, Arriagada R, Raina V, Abraham M, Medeiros Alencar VH, Badran A, Bonfill X, Bradbury J, Clarke M, Collins R, Davis SR, Delmestri A, Forbes JF, Haddad P, Hou MF, Inbar M, Khaled H, Kielanowska J, Kwan WH, Mathew BS, Mittra I, Müller B, Nicolucci A, Peralta O, Pernas F, Petruzelka L, Pienkowski T, Radhika R, Rajan B, Rubach MT, Tort S, Urrútia G, Valentini M, Wang Y, Peto R; Adjuvant Tamoxifen: Longer Against Shorter (ATLAS) Collaborative Group. Long-term effects of continuing adjuvant tamoxifen to 10 years versus stopping at 5 years after diagnosis of oestrogen receptor-positive breast cancer: ATLAS, a randomised trial. Lancet. 2013 Mar 9;381(9869):805-16. Erratum in: Lancet. 2013 Mar 9;381(9869):804.
- Depypere HT, Comhaire FH. Herbal preparations for the menopause: Beyond isoflavones and black cohosh. Maturitas. 2014 Feb;77(2):191-4. doi: 10.1016/j.maturitas.2013.11.001
- Depypere H, Desreux J, Pérez-López FR, Ceausu I, Erel CT, Lambrinoudaki I, Schenck-Gustafsson K, van der Schouw YT, Simoncini T, Tremollieres F, Rees M. EMAS position statement: individualized breast cancer screening versus population-based mammography screening programmes. Maturitas. 2014 Dec;79(4):481-6. doi: 10.1016/j.maturitas.2014.09.002
- Depypere H, Inki P. The levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system for endometrial protection during estrogen replacement therapy: a clinical review. Climacteric. 2015 Jan 2:1-32.
- Depypere HT, Bolca S, Bracke M, Delanghe J, Comhaire F, Blondeel P. The serum estradiol concentration is the main determinant of the estradiol concentration in normal breast tissue. Maturitas. 2015 May;81(1):42-5. doi: 10.1016/j.maturitas.2015.01.014
- Herman Depypere (UGent) , A Pintiaux, J Desreux, M Hendrickx, P Neven, E Marchowicz, V Albert, V Leclercq, S Van den Branden and S Rozenberg. Coping with menopausal symptoms: an internet survey of Belgian postmenopausal women. Maturitas . 2016. 90. p.24-30.