prof. Ann Van Hecke (PhD)
Professor (University Centre for Nursing and Midwifery, Department of Public Health and Primary Care, UGent)
Staff member (Nursing Department, Ghent University Hospital)
Prof. Van Hecke’s research interest is in self-management in patients with chronic disorders and cancer, medication adherence in oncology, development, evaluation and implementation of advanced practice nursing roles and patient participation.
She has expertise in mixed methods research, scale development and implementation research.
- Rammant E, Fonteyne V, Decaestecker K, Bultijnck R, Deforche B, Pieters R, Ost P, Verhaeghe S, Van Hecke A. Understanding physical activity behavior in patients with bladder cancer before and after radical cystectomy: a qualitative interview study. Clinical Rehabilitation, 2019. ahead of print. (PMID: 30514109)
- Van Lancker A, Van Hecke A, Verhaeghe S, Mattheeuws M, Beeckman D. A Comparison of Symptoms in Older Hospitalised Palliative Cancer and Non-Cancer Patients: A Secondary Analysis of Two Cross-sectional Studies. BMC Geriatrics, 2018. (PMID: 29402216)
- Belpame N., Kars M.C., Beeckman D., Decoene E., Quaghebeur M., Van Hecke A., Verhaeghe S. The 3-Phase Process in the Cancer Experience of Adolescents and Young Adults. Cancer Nursing, 2018. (PMID: 28481777)
- Timmers L., Boons C., Verbrugghe M., van den Bemt B. J. F., Van Hecke A., Jacqueline G. Hugtenburg J. G. Supporting adherence to oral anticancer agents: clinical practice and clues to improve care provided by physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses and pharmacists. BMC Cancer, 2017. (PMID: 28187759)
- Verbrugghe M, Timmers L, Boons C, van den Bemt B, Hugtenburg J, Van Hecke A. (2015). Adherence to oral anticancer agents: healthcare providers’ perceptions, beliefs and shared decision making in Belgium and the Netherlands. Acta Oncologica, 55 (4), 437-443. [SCI (2014) = 2.99; ranked 98/211 in Oncology]
- Van Lancker A., Beeckman D., Verhaeghe S., Van Den Noortgate N., Van Hecke, A. Symptom clustering in hospitalised older palliative cancer patients: a cross-sectional study. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 2016. (PMID: 27294861)
- Nierop-van Baalen, C., Grypdonck, M., Van Hecke, A., Verhaeghe, S. Hope dies last... A qualitative study into the meaning of hope for people with cancer in the palliative phase. European Journal of Cancer Care, 2016. (PMID: 27098887)
- Van Lancker A., Beeckman D., Verhaeghe S., Van Den Noortgate N., Grypdonck M., Van Hecke A. An Instrument to Collect Data on Frequency and Intensity of Symptoms in Older Palliative Cancer Patients: a Development and Validation Study. European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 2016. (PMID: 26952677)