dr. Bart Roman (PhD)
Post-doctoral fellow - Research Group SynBioC, Department of Sustainable Organic Chemistry and Technology (Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, UGent)
Principal investigator: prof. Chris Stevens (PhD)
We focus on innovative chemistry at the crossroad with biology, exploiting novel opportunities for the tackling of cancer metastasis. Our projects involve the design, synthesis and (preclinical) evaluation of small molecules and immunoconjugates, in search of new chemical and pharmacological tools for the study and in vivo modulation of invasion and metastasis.
- '4-Fluoro-3',4',5'-trimethoxychalcone as a new anti-invasive agent. From discovery to initial validation in an in vivo metastasis model'. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2015 (PMID: 26204510).
- 'Chick heart invasion assay for testing the invasiveness of cancer cells and the activity of potentially anti-invasive compounds'. Journal of Visualized Experiments, 2015 (PMID: 26131648).
- 'Further studies on anti-invasive chemotypes: an excursion from chalcones to curcuminoids'. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2015 (PMID: 25666820).
- 'Design, synthesis and structure–activity relationships of some novel, highly potent anti-invasive (E)- and (Z)-stilbenes'. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 2013 (PMID: 23867387).
- 'Assessment of the Antineoplastic Potential of Chalcones in Animal Models'. Current Medicinal Chemistry, 2013 (PMID: 23244582)
- 'Exploration of the SAR of anti-invasive chalcones: Synthesis and biological evaluation of conformationally restricted analogues'. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 2012 (PMID: 22743088)